Monday, September 10, 2007

Bread Store

Bread Store
1716 J St.
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 557-1600





The one thing that I dislike about Sacramento is that a lot of the good places in the city for lunch are closed on the weekends! To name a few:

  • La Bonne Soup Cafe
  • Sampino's Italian Deli


So I ended up going to the Bread Store



I had their signature sandwich; Cuban panino, heavy with roasted pork loin, ham and Swiss cheese on grilled ciabatta, with pickles and "Caribbean aioli" (a mix of lime juice, cilantro, chipotle, mayo, salt and black pepper). This is their interpretation of a traditional Cuban sandwich. This sandwich was huge! I would say it was about 16 oz, more than enough for two people. The grilled ciabatta was warm, chewy and crunchy at the same time. The roasted pork had good flavor and the ham was a little more subtle. Both meats matched well with the bread. I could not really taste the Carribean aioli and the pickle could have been sliced a little thicker; I barely noticed it was there.

Overall, it was a good sandwich. Sad to say I have never had a good, authentic Cuban sandwich so I cannot tell you which one I like better.

The other sandwich I had was a hot pastrami. I liked it because it was not super thick like New York pastrami sandwiches. The rye was nice crunchy and had just enough rye flavor to match well with the pastrami and not overpower it. They balanced each other nicely and the cheese was nice and melted too. This one is another solid sandwich that I would eat again.





Lastly for dessert, I had a pumpkin muffin. This was OK. I think it would have been better if they made a pumpkin spice muffin. If it had cinnamon or some curry spices it would have been really good. The pumpkin flavor was barely there and was flat. So I would pass on this muffin the next time and try another one.