Monday, December 17, 2007

House of Nanking

House of Nanking
919 Kearny St - Btwn Jackson St & Pacific Ave
San Francisco, CA 94133
415 421-1429

If you look online there are a lot of mixed reviews of this place. Reviews either love it or hate it. Go figure? The trick I learned later is to do what some "higher end" places do; order the chef's menu. Basically you say, cook me something good! We ordered off the menu and from what I had this place has some real potential.

Alas, I did not know about that option until we were a good portion done with our meal. C'est la vie next time.

As you can see, the tea is pretty and different, but good. The first thing we started with was the won ton soup. Sounds pretty vanilla eh? I have to say that is some of the best soup I have had period. The broth has layers and layers of flavor. I could taste the soup stock, the vegetables that were added, lemon, and the spices. The broth had a perfect consistency (great mouth feel); not too watery and not too thick. That was just the soup.

The next thing we ordered was the sesame chicken and it came with sweet potatoes. This dish was good; the chicken was moist, crunchy and not too sweet. Like I said it was good, but not spectacular. The next time I will definitely let the chef pick and choose my meal for me.



Hot tea


Won Ton Soup
Nanking sesame chicken