Monday, May 5, 2008

Temple Coffee

1014 10th Street (between J and K)
Sacramento, California 95814
916.443.4960
http://www.templecoffee.com/





I am a coffee drinker, but have never been much of an espresso drinker. When Temple Coffee held an espresso tasting, we took this chance to learn more about the different espressos. I had never been here before, but when I walked into this café I was pleasantly surprised. It had a lot of wood structure and a general warmness. It was more apparent that Starbucks and the like were sterile corporate buildings that lacked character. Temple coffee had a nice laid back atmosphere.

The espresso tasting was held in the basement and there was about 12 other people there. Sean, the owner of the café, conducted the class. The tasting went from more complex and astringent and went to less complex and smoother espresso. I learned a lot about crema, the dark reddish-brown foam on top, the different drying processes and how they affect the flavor, how temperature affects the flavor and the coffee tasting wheel.






Sean was very willing to answer any questions and share his knowledge. The class was worth the cost and time spent. I learned a lot, but not a converted espresso drinker. I do not think I ever will be because I would need a pastry to offset the intenseness of the espresso.

These are two of the espressos I remember tasting.

Guatemala Pea Berry


Ethiopian Limu




COFFEE TASTING WHEEL