Friday, June 20, 2008

Seattle Trip: Piroshki on Broadway

Piroshki/Pierogi (also perogi, perogy, pirohi, piroghi, pirogi, pirogen, piroshke or pyrohy), from the Proto-Slavic "pir" (festivity) is the name most commonly used in English speaking areas to refer to a variety of Slavic semicircular (or, in some cuisines, square) stuffed dumplings of unleavened dough and varying ingredients. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I saw Anthony Bourdain eat at the piroshki place in Pike's market and happen to walk by this place on the way back to my hotel. I had not eaten dinner yet so I decided to try this place.

The beef and mushroom piroshki was OK, the flavor was flat. The sausage piroski tasted (and looked) like a hot dog; again kinda blah.

The good things were the desserts. Their version of a cherry streusel was different than ones I ate in the past. It was dense with cherries, sweet, tangy and crunchy and buttery. A little heavy to eat by yourself so it would be great to share with someone. The second dessert I had was the poppy seed cookie. The cookie was soft, buttery, not too sweet and the poppy seed provided a nutty flavor. It was an interesting flavor combination that I have not encountered before.

The piroshkis were OK, but the dessert was good so if you are in the neighborhood or visiting Seattle I would stop buy grab some lunch and make sure you save room for dessert.



Sausage piroshki


Beef and mushroom




Cherry streusel


Poppy seed cookie